What is a Conservatorship?

A conservatorship is a process where a Petition is filed with the Court because someone is no longer able take care of their affairs. The conserved person is the Conservatee. The person taking care of the Conservatee is the Conservator. This can be a conservatorship of the person [personal care issues], of the “estate” [meaning finances], or both. The Court appoints a person to handle and be responsible for another person’s financial and/or daily living affairs and needs. Conservatorship might be necessary when a person in need cannot handle their affairs and has not nominated another person to help. That help could be through a Trust or powers of attorney, when the person nominated is not suitable, or in the case of physical or financial abuse. If you are looking at a conservatorship as an option, the planning has failed. Going to Court, having to make all your personal financial information public and having to account annually can be completely avoided. You can do this by setting up the tools to prevent the need for this, during your life. With powers of attorney for asset management and an advance directive, someone is nominated in advance to step in for you if you can no longer handle your own decisions. A Trust can also set out your personal care directions. You list a series of people you nominate so that if there is someone who cannot do the work [due to death or unavailability], the next in line can step in. This is also the case if there is elder abuse. The next in line can take steps to replace...

Great News for the Terminally ill

      Governor Brown signed the End of Life Option Act today which authorizes “an adult who meets certain qualifications, and who has been determined by his or her attending physician to be suffering from a terminal disease, as defined, to make a request for a drug prescribed …. for the purpose of ending his or her life.”  The full text can be found: here Governor’s signing message can be found: here It says: OCT 5 2015To the Members of the California State Assembly: ABx2 15 is not an ordinary bill because it deals with life and death. The crux of the matter is whether the State of California should continue to make it a crime for a dying person to end his life, no matter how great his pain or suffering.   I have carefully read the thoughtful opposition materials presented by a number ofdoctors, religious leaders and those who champion disability rights. I have considered the theological and religious perspectives that any deliberate shortening of one’s life is sinful. I have also read the letters of those who support the bill, including heartfelt pleas from Brittany Maynard’s family and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. In addition, I have discussed this matter with a Catholic Bishop, two of my own doctors and former classmates and friends who take varied, contradictory and nuanced positions. In the end, I was left to reflect on what I would want in the face of my own death.I do not know what I would do if I were dying in prolonged and excruciating pain. I am certain, however, that it would be a comfort...


This is a list of the kind of information many seniors need.  I hope you find it useful.   To report ELDER ABUSE: Local Adult Protective Services:  1-800-510-2020 http://www.cdss.ca.gov/agedblinddisabled/PG2300.htm   Long Term Care Ombudsman:  1-800-231-4024 (licensed facilities) If you are in immediate danger:  Emergency 911   For information about SENIOR SERVICES: California Senior Gateway: www.seniors.ca.gov   California Department of Aging: 1-800 -510-2020  www.aging.ca.gov    National Eldercare Locator Service: 1-800-677-1116 www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx     For LEGAL ASSISTANCE: State Bar of California: 1-866-442 -2529 (local referrals) http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public.aspx  Senior Legal Hotline: 1-800-222-1753 Attorney Complaints: 1-800-843-9053   For help dealing with DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-domesticviolence.htm  National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 (local referrals) California’s “Safe at Home” Program: 1-877-322 -5227   To check CONTRACTORS’ LICENSE: Contractors State License Board: 1-800-321-2752 https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLicense.aspx   For assistance with SOCIAL SECURITY: 1-800-772- 1213 OR  www.socialsecurity.gov     For information on HEALTH INSURANCE OPTIONS: California Department of Insurance: 1-800 -927-HELP (4357)  www.insurance.ca.gov/0150-seniors/0300healthplans/  OR www.cahealthadvocates.org/HICAP/index.html  1-800-434-0222 (HICAP-free Medicare help) 1-800-633-4227 (Medicare) 1-888-466-2219 (HMOs)   For Information on CARE FACILITIES: California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform (CANHR) www.canhr.org  OR 1-800-474-1116 (nursing homes, residential care facilities) California Registry: 1-800-777-7575 (various living arrangements) www.calregistry.com      For VETERANS’ SERVICES: CA Department of Veterans’ Affairs https://www.calvet.ca.gov/veteran-services-benefits  U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: 1-800-827-1000 www.va.gov   To investigate before you INVEST: California Department of Corporations Seniors Against Investment Fraud (SAIF) 1-866 -ASK-CORP (275-2677) http://www.dbo.ca.gov/Consumers/education_outreach/saif/default.asp   California Department of Consumer Affairs: 1-800-952-5210 (info, complaints, license checks) http://www.dca.ca.gov/consumer/seniors/index.shtml     To stop MARKETING CALLS, MAIL AND E-MAIL: www.donotcall.gov  1-888-382-1222 (“do not call” registry)   To order FREE CREDIT REPORTS (annually): 1-877-322-8228 www.annualcreditreport.com    I hope this helps!   Elizabeth...

Elder Abuse

Elder Abuse What is Elder Abuse? It is the neglect, exploitation or “painful or harmful” mistreatment of anyone who is 65 or older (or any disabled dependent adult age 18 to 64). It can involve physical intimidation, violence, psychological abuse, isolation, abandonment, abduction, false imprisonment or a care giver’s neglect. It could also involve unlawful taking of a senior’s money or property. In short, it can involve various crimes, such as theft, assault or identity theft. But when the victim is 65 years old or older (or a disabled dependent adult), the criminal faces stiffer penalties under various protective statutes. If a relative is refusing to visit unless you give money or do something for them, or if you are being compelled to “lend money” or change your estate plan to favor a care giver or family member, or if you are being threatened with harm if you don’t do what you are asked, it is all a form of something called “elder abuse”. Elder abuse can be physical abuse or financial abuse or neglect. You need to reach out for help right away. It is not OK for anyone to treat you this way. While the elderly are already extremely vulnerable to abuse, issues of mental impairment and dementia are additional significant factors that make seniors even more susceptible to elder abuse and/or neglect. Elder abuse happens everywhere - in poor, middle class, and upper-income households and in far too many long-term care facilities. It is a problem that has no demographic or ethnic boundaries. Because family members, close friends, and even professional care givers are often the...
Johnson Law Firm

Request your

Free Consultation!

Get a Free Consultation regarding your Estate Planning needs.

Your email submission was successful!

Pin It on Pinterest